Wednesday 5 January 2011

Greetings from Budapest - the capital city of Hungary.

After a typical early start from home and a 2-hour flight, I arrived at Budapest (Ferihegy)Airport to freezing temperatures! Brrrrrr! Snow everywhere and a rather harsh wind blowing!

Looking after me for the next two days is Martina - the PR of the Four Seasons Budapest AND Prague - where we filmed last year. As it happens, the Prague show premieres tonight! It was a fun show if I remember correctly.

It's a 30-minute drive from the airport to the FS Gresham Palace. I have stayed in many, many FS properties but I have to say that this one is the most elegant & palatial. More about it tomorrow with photos ...

After a lovely lunch with the new General Manager Yves Giacometti (formerly of the FS Buenos Aires) we headed out into the chilly city. Lucky I had my Russian hat (& cigar) to keep me warm! Ha!

Budapest is made up of three parts - Buda & Obuda and Pest - separated by the River Danube. We went for a little wander in Pest (where the hotel is located).

The Basilica is magnificent!

We also popped into the New York Cafe - part of the New York Palace Hotel. We had mulled wine in a stunning Hungarian coffee room. It was opened in 1894 and features stunning frescoes on the ceilings, lashings of marble and gilt and opulent chandeliers. It's a fantastic room ...

So tonight I am wine-tasting - Tokaji & Bull's Blood (I hope) and a first look at Budapest by night! Can't wait ....
Yves Giacometti
St. Stephen's Basilica
Once an open courtyard ... now enclosed ...
The ceiling at the NY Cafe
 
blogger template powered by fraktiv