Saturday 1 May 2010

It’s the 1st of May! Where has the year gone …?

So – awoke with start as I spotted some nyala drinking out of my swimming pool. That really has been the story of the day … animals wandering over to my villa for a drink-stop! I am not complaining … it’s all part of the experience. The monkeys here are VERY cheeky and in fact Happiness at the restaurant has to walk around with a stick shooing them away. At lunch one of these little chaps managed to get past her and whipped a bread roll from a diner’s table. It was actually quite funny – but Happiness was NOT amused… I know this happens at nearly every reserve but sometimes I wish something like this would happen in New York or London!

After breakfast I interviewed Jane Braack – the General Manager of all the Phinda lodges. There are a total of six lodges in the south and north of Phinda. Here in the north there is The Homestead for a large family, Vlei Lodge (six suites with pools) and Forest Lodge (16 suites with glass walls) … each Lodge has its own different characteristics. I am in Vlei (pronounced Flay) Lodge … in suite number 5 … complete with four-poster bed, free-standing bath, outdoor pool, deck … and fully stocked mini-bar! The suite has glass walls which was VERY unfortunate for a game-drive last night who saw the lesser-spotted, ever-smiling Varun-monkey having an evening shower while they were searching for leopard( who apparently slept on my deck last night!) … Oops!

Jane has been with &Beyond (formerly CCAfrica) for 14 years and along with Jonathan – her husband – is a veteran of running successful properties. The private reserve is 23,000 hectares of land … looking after this and the staff is a major undertaking!

Following the interview, I met the chef Matt Hancock (“as in the super-hero”) … who taught me how to make nyala burgers! We filmed out in the open … and it was roasting hot! We cooked over an open fire … with nyala and the impala looking on. I did have the odd pang of guilt. It MUST be pointed out that the reserve does not kill any of its animals for food – this is bought in!Lunch was nyala burgers! Yum!

The boys have spent the afternoon in the Bush getting me footage … while I have been working in my suite! I have had several interruptions from zebra, nyala and wart-hogs who have wandered by to say “hello”. I LOVE SAFARI!I also received a massage from a lady called Kim … it’s been a long time since I have had a massage in the Bush … it’s quite a wonderfully unique experience. The Lodge provides “citronella splash” a brilliant liquid that keeps mozzies and other creepy crawlies away … so far, so good!

Tomorrow is a VERY important day for the show!

Song of the Day: Mister Wendall – Arrested Development
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kyqp2f6VPos

Weather: Hot! Hot! Hot!
Jane



Monkey!
Female Nyala
HANCOCK

Male Nyala having a drink!
Warthogs
Green Monster!
Elephants with BIG ears
 
blogger template powered by fraktiv