Monday 7 September 2009

Up early. Slept okay despite the exhaustion from yesterday's travels. I am convinced that I only catch up on sleep when I am flying long-haul...

Was woken up by a mewing cat ... there are two on property, Tristan & Polly and they love to mew and visit friendly guests ... I loved being woken up by a "mew" - novel and not so different from my own home!

SO - breakfast! Rhubarb, candy floss (cotton candy) and the most fabulous toast ... all ingredients for a memorable start to the day.

The drive up. Mollies is in St Mary's Bay - near Ponsonby. It's a very residential district and the hotel is in the middle of Tweed Street. My gorgeous Alfa Romeo Brera purred like a big cat down the road up to the hotel.

Joanna Bourke is Mollies General Manager ... - I break into the diary to announce that the sun is setting over Auckland and the sight over the Harbour is as good as anywhere in the world - and she has been here since Day 1.

The history of the building is fabulous. Once the Mayor's home, it then became a convent. In 1964, Mollie bought it and turned it into a motel. In 2001, Mollie cajoled her daughter and son-in-law to take over the property. Frances and Stephen - the owners - have turned the motel into certainly the best "hotel" in Auckland. "Hotel" ... it does not feel like a hotel - it actually feels like a rich man's home ... with 13 suites ... all lavishly decorated in a tasteful and homely way.

I have the largest suite on property -- a duplex. Downstairs a lounge, bathroom and kitchen ... upstairs a changing area, bedroom and a balcony from where I can see the Auckland Harbour Bridge! FANTASTIC!

A few weeks ago in South Africa I stayed at a brilliant hotel that had bathroom products I didn't like. Thankfully, it is now using a local brand that is far superior ... & cheaper. Today I was introduced to Linden Leaves - a Kiwi product. It's undoubtedly the best stuff I have ever used in any hotel in the world ... even better than the products at The Lodge at Torrey Pines which is hard to fault. The scents are fragrant, the creams soft and the range, very wide & varied! With no shame I am going to steal ALL the Linden Leaves from my suite! ALL MINE! ALL MINE!

Back to Joanna - who I interviewed over a good glass of Pinot. She is wonderful & bubbly and makes fun of me all the time ... strangely I didn't mind at all! A new friend I believe!

I love Mollies!

The property has a small spa, bar, restaurant, garden ... and it's designed in a very unusual way. It's almost a camp classic ... almost ... it's metrosexual ...yes, that's it! And I am fine with that!

In the afternoon, I had a manicure from the lovely Rebecca in a High Tea Pampering session. My nails are now all shiny!

So - the boys - who are very happy here - are off filming in Auckland. Tomorrow I am meeting some bees.

Song of the Day: Joe le Taxi - Vanessa Paradis
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJrHSfDSm34

Weather: more Kiwi-tastic!

my pretty car

and again!
with tristan
with joanna
nails by pretty rebecca
duplex ground floor
bathroom 1
yummy linden leaves
bedroom
my evening view from the balcony
 
blogger template powered by fraktiv