Sunday 13 September 2009

Greetings from Blanket Bay - just a wee south of Glenorchy - 45 minutes drive north from Eichardt's and Queenstown ...

We arrived quite late so I have not seen the views here - which are supposed to be spectacular. More on that tomorrow.

Today was frankly one of the most scary, crazy but most satisfying days of my life.

It all started so well. We drove down to the Amisfield Winery - 20 minutes from Queenstown. The wine region here is called Central Otago ... and there 100 + labels. Amisfield is most famous for producing pinot noir - lucky that, as it IS my favourite wine! It seems that Central Otago is on the same parallel as Burgundy (45?) which means that the soil & climate is very much like that of France ... and therefore these great wines are produced.

On hand to talk to us about South Island wine was Fleur Caulton (with Max). We sampled the excellent The Rocky Knoll 2006 pinot - that retails at around £80/$NZ160. A good wine, it would be fair to say! Also a screw top ... Amisfield has never had a complaint about "corked wine"!! It was a lovely, bright morning!

I also discovered "organic" cola (Allaganics) here ... yum!

After shooting back to the hotel for some lunch, we were met by Neil Harrison - the boss of Frogz White Water Sledging. We followed him on a 40 minute drive to his base at the Roaring Meg Power Station which sits on the Kawarau River. I had NO idea what white water sledging was .. I do now! Apparently a Frenchman - Thierry Huet brought this sport to Wanaka in 1991. You must remember that NZ is the adrenaline-sport capital of the world. The first ever bungee jump was done here .. and the highest one is in Queenstown (done it, seen it ... and have the t-shirt!).

ANYWAY - my guide/Pamela Anderson lifeguard was a lady called Susan Houge - who turned out to be ... well ... my angel. White water sledging is basically white water rafting but instead of a raft ... you have a board that is around 4 foot high! I was dressed in a safety and wet suit ... and taught the basics. The water was FREEEZING ... around 9 degrees. The company does not officially start the season for a month ... as the water is too cold. Anyway ... the 5 km "course" includes rapids (mad ones) and whirlpools ... and eddys ... and large jagged rocks ... and swells ... and cauldrons of fire & brimstone (well, it felt that way anyway!) ... Because of the filming, the 45 minute course took nearly 3 hours ... in which I got cramp in both legs, lost my board, was forced underwater for 30 seconds or so ... and generally was scared WITLESS time & time again! The stopping & starting for filming did not help as I just froze. It was an experience I did not expect or indeed will forget for a very, very, very, very long time.

I honestly believe that without Susan, I would have TOTALLY lost the plot. She kept me calm, talked nonsense (I am sure it was sense but I was not listening) and got me through it. I am NOT a fan of water at the best of times ... so today was one of the biggest living nightmares of my life. It took me 30 minutes to stop shivering afterwards ... and the heating in the 4x4 was on full!

I would do it again ... BUT only if Susan was there in the water with me ... and there were no cameras on me!

Anyway - checked out of Eichardt's (boohoo) and headed over to Blanket Bay ... we drove 40 kms without seeing another car! Very strange.

I am going to bed now ... I am a "dead man walking". What a day ... what a day!

Song of the Day: Life's What You Make It - Talk Talk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXsmyLtpxlA

Weather: I just didn't care!


wine at 0900
fleur & max
smiles on the way to the sledging

dressed for action!
realisation sets in

off we go!
rapid-attack
the end ... 3 hours later ... a wonderful moment

my water-angel susan

 
blogger template powered by fraktiv