Saturday 12 September 2009

OK - the rather strange purple person below is actually me! I received a few emails from "friends" who do not believe that I actually jumped into the bitterly cold Bay yesterday ... well ... here's proof - kind of ...


The MOST wonderful part of my job is the people I meet doing it. Today was no exception.

Early breakfast and off to meet with Louisa "Choppy" Patterson - the legendary Kiwi helicopter pilot with "Over The Top" - based at Queenstown Airport. She had even arranged for Coco - the chocolate Labrador - to be part of the welcoming committee! Also on-hand, golf pro Craig Palmer ... from The Hills in Arrowtown.

The plan was to fly up to the Remarkables - 1 mile (5280 feet) above sea level - and bash some golf balls from a snowy peak! We did this! The balls are bio-degradable - made of dog-biscuits ... or something! Using Callaway drivers, Craig and I hit ball after ball - while supping on beer and smoking cigars! A totally surreal experience but one that looks fabulous on camera! The views! The views!

Then another treat - we flew down to Arrowhead - home of The Hills -the most exclusive and picturesque golf club in New Zealand. It's the host to the New Zealand Open and owned by the gazillionaire jeweller Michael Hills. We played a couple of the holes for the show. I managed to drive straight and true ... which is a change from my normal game! The Hills is run by the sweet and gorgeous Sam Gent who fed & entertained us and also showed me her secret rooms ... two very special spa suites - which have comfy spa beds and change colours to keep you chilled out. Feeling the obvious stress in my life (!) - she also gave me a 10-minute massage which has kept me smiling all day! I wish I could go back there for a whole day!

We finally flew back to Queenstown - the Mile High Golf feature complete. Choppy is THE only pilot you should fly with down here. Her skilled manoeuvring of the heli made the shots easy to film and will look amazing on screen. She's also a genuinely warm & caring person ...

SO - back on dry land and we popped into the Art Bay Gallery and it's owner Pauline Bianchi. After a large chai latte, we discussed contemporary and uber art ... She exhibits and sells work from some of the most famous NZ artists ... while also holding art classes. There's even a resident artist in the gallery.

My favourite pieces were "Pie Tangi V2" ... about pies (which reminds me of a dear Kiwi buddy) and Susan Cleaver's "Eyes see Everything" ... which is a mosaic of tiny photos of eyes ... see below!

Back at Eichardt's tonight for more tapas and a glass of cider. We leave here tomorrow and are very sad about it. It is the smallest hotel we have ever filmed in but it has such interesting stories ... and good, caring staff ... It's baby-boutique-hotel-tastic!

Well, dare I say it again ... but "this was one of the best filming days ever" ... the boys are happy,I am happy .... la vita e bella!

Song of the Day: The Sweetest Thing - U2

Weather: Puuuuurrrrrrfffffffeeeeeeeeect!

coco gets a tummy tickle
my "taxi"
THE heli-company
the mile high golf club!
time for a cigar and beer
choppy & craig
choppy with the chopper
the gorgeous sam
the butler did it .. honest!
pauline - pretty in artistic red
the eyes have it!
 
blogger template powered by fraktiv