Thursday 18 October 2012

Today I milked a camel!

Awoke at 0530 with the sun starting to rise over the lip of the crater. The Starbed ... awesome ... truly awesome ...

There have been camels in Kenya for over 1000 years - they were brought down here from Egypt. The males are STILL used for transportation and the females for breeding and milk ... a lactose-free alternative to cow's milk.

So - I needed milk for my tea today so I went a milked one of these dromedaries. There are 51 camels here and you can go on a camel safari. Last time I rode a camel, I - um - was in pain for weeks ... and no amount of massages helped!

SO - the camel enclosure was rather stinky ... and there were babies, mummies and daddies all bellowing at us (Tim and the camera were of great interest to them) ... but I managed to squeeze some milk out! It was ... different! Not one camel kicked me! Phew!

Today we have a strange day so it's an early Diary!

Song of the Day: Wandering Star - Lee Marvin
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnbiRDNaDeo





Good Morning Kenya!
 
blogger template powered by fraktiv