Saturday 20 October 2012

I drove my first safari today ... read carefully ... I DROVE! Yes - after 20 years of safari, I was finally trusted to take control and for 90 minutes of pure heaven, I drove through the Mara! AWESOME!

The Mara is 35,000 km2 ... Mara means "spot" ... i.e. the trees dotted on the landscape. Masai - are the people and they are "human" ... if you are not Masai, you are not really all there!

We saw - lions, zebra, giraffe, hippos, buffalo, hyena, jackals, eagles ... and so much more.

I also witnessed The Migration ... wildebeest, zebra ... some of the 2 MILLION mammals that take the annual 500 km journey from the Serengeti in Tanzania to the Mara in Kenya ... and return ...

What a day ...

Song of the Day: Walkin' on the Sun - Smash Mouth
 
At last!

Yes - I awoke a male lion and I was just 6 feet away from him!
Dear Riccardo - my guide

The largest pod of hippos I have ever seen ...
Moo's Mara Buddy - Hilly the Happy (& Lazy) Hyena
William - my Masai guide

 
blogger template powered by fraktiv