Monday 20 February 2012

Greetings from the Four Seasons Istanbul at Sultanahmet ...

The early morning flight to Turkey was painless. Three and a half hours of sleep ... and a smoked salmon bagel and a glass of single malt to keep me company ...

So, I arrived at the airport and needed to buy a visa ...

Q: how much is the visa?
A: 10 pounds or 15 Euros

Q: Well, I don't have either ... can I pay in Turkish Lira?
A: No

Q: Can I pay with a credit card?
A: No

Q: Um - where is the nearest ATM?
A: No here

Q: So how do I get in the country?
A: Pounds or Euro

Q: Erm - I don't have any on me ... I am in Turkey, SURELY you can take your own currency?
A: No ...

Q: OK ...
A: Move along

Q: But I need to get a Visa
A: Pounds or Euro

Q: I don't have any ... there's a credit card machine just there ... can't you use that?
A: Yes

Q: Well ...
A: Oh ... ok ...

Really???? Anyway, thankfully the cab driver was full of beans and told me about everything that has been going on with his football (soccer) team ... assuming that as I had flown from England that I would understand. I now know a HUGE amount about Febernace (?) ... but still know nothing about football!

SO - I have just had a fabulous massage from a lovely lady called Fatma. I am floating about. It's been a VERY long time since I have had a massage that good ...

I am sitting in my suite at the Four Seasons watching "FX" - which is dominated by reruns of Family Guy with Turkish subtitles ... HARIKA means "yahoo"/"amazing"/"brilliant" ...

I was last in this hotel in 2010 ... although you may not know it ... YOU do know it if you have ever watched that movie - Midnight Express. This hotel was once a prison ... and now is one of the most fascinating hotels in the world. The movie (1978) was quite ... um ... aggressive and was set in this prison that I am currently serving a 2-day sentence in.

My suite is harika!

So tomorrow, I am off for a trot around the city! I am quite excited ... it IS cold, but sunny and fresh ... 


 
blogger template powered by fraktiv