Tuesday 27 July 2010

I don't think I am a nerd ... but sometimes I do have nerdish tendencies. Sci-fi movies for instance - I LOVE THEM! Space and Aircraft Museums - I LOVE THEM! New Scientist magazines - I LOVE THEM! Anything "Apple" - I HATE THEM!

So - I did watch "Star Trek" - the JJ Abrams version this afternoon ... for the fifth time! What a romp - spoilt only by some appalling acting and a hokey storyline - I LOVED IT! Tonight, it's "Tokyo Story", a VERY depressing Japanese movie from 1953 ... why am I watching it? Well, it's because it's "pot luck" from Lovefilm (Netflix) and the comedian dispatcher thought that Star Trek and Tokyo Story fit together like bread & butter.

Canada fact 1: The original Star Trek owes much to Canada. Two of its stars – William Shatner (Captain Kirk) and James Doohan (Scotty) were Canadian. In the 1980s, Doohan’s unique interpretation of a Scottish accent led to the formation of the Scottyish Society at St Andrews University in Scotland. Members offered recitals of the poetry of Scotland’s national poet, Robert Burns, in a “Scottyish” accent.

Canada fact 2: In the 15 – 64 age group, for every 100 men, Canada has 102 women. The provinces where the imbalance is greatest are Newfoundland/Labrador, Prince Edward Island and Nova Scotia; all have more than 105 women for every 100 men.

Watch out Canada, I will be counting you all next week!

Song of the Day: Dare - Gorillaz
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6yantixZ5c&feature=avmsc2

Weather: A hazy swirl of opposites

Canada, oh Canada ...
 
blogger template powered by fraktiv