Tuesday 12 June 2012

Day 3 - Marrakesh, Morocco - La Mamounia


I have just watched the sun set from my balcony ... with a cigar and a bottle of champagne ... almost heaven ...


It's been hotel filming day ... and it's been a good one.


I was first here at La Mamounia many moons ago ... pre-2006 when the hotel was closed for a major 3-year refurbishment. I remember it well ... it was good but not great ... now it's great!


La Mamounia was first opened as a hotel in 1923 ... and over the years it really has attracted the most famous people in the world - film stars, politicians and royalty ...


In 2006 the hotel was redesigned by Jacques Garcia - who is a renowned interior designer. He employed 1500 artisans and craftsmen to recreate La Mamounia in a 1920's-style but with contemporary twists ...


First up I interviewed the legendary GM - Didier Picquot ... out in the gardens ... it's obvious he thoroughly loves the hotel and Marrakesh. The hotel is set behind pink cement walls ... has 17 acres of lush gardens ... a fabulous spa, restaurants and bars.


Then my suite ... Majorelle ... named after a 19th century French painter (Jacques) who designed the famous Gardens (more on that later in the week) and the man behind the "Majorelle Blue" ... his colour ... which is prevalent in the suite and the hotel ...


So - I have a 2-bedroom, 114 m2 suite ... complete with zellege mosaics, tadelakt walls (eggs & black soap) ... large beds ... a hamam-style marble bathroom ... amazing comfy plush furniture ... and views of the pool, gardens and the Atlas Mountains ...


DELICIOUS ...


I am staying in again tonight ... I think the boys are out having fun in the city!


All the doors and ceilings in my suite are made of cedar wood ... and were hand-painted.

With Didier


Comfy bed :)
Monsieur Majorelle ...
Sunset ...
 
blogger template powered by fraktiv