Monday 11 June 2012

Day 2 - Marrakesh, Morocco - La Mamounia


Helen Keller once wrote "Life is either a great adventure ... or nothing". Today I conquered a fear ... well two fears ... abseiling ... and abseiling through a waterfall ...


My memories of La Mamounia are many but one that sticks out is the birds twittering at sunrise. This morning was lovely - a warm sunrise, birds twittering and a wee (fine) champagne headache! Ha!


So - after breakfast, we headed to the soon-to-be-officially opened Assoufid Golf Course ... 20 minutes drive from the hotel. I played a few holes with the Director of Golf, Guy Maxwell. There has been golf in Marrakesh since the 1920's ... now there are 7 courses that are of professional standard in the city ... plus others in the country that even host PGAs ...


I wasn't on fire today BUT I did get my par-3's!


From there we zipped off to the Ourika Valley to meet with Andy Robertson from Splash Adventure Activities. He took me canyoning and abseiling down slippery, watery rock faces. I was scared witless ...


It is VERY safe ... but my hands are all torn up as I tried to abseil like a pro rather than the amateur that I am! It was fun ... but ... I will definitely wait a while before I try again!
With Guy

With Andy

The fall ... 25 metres ... 
Don't ask ... 
 
blogger template powered by fraktiv