Sunday 4 December 2011

Greetings from Le Quartier Francais - one of the most famous hotels in South Africa. It's located in Franshhoek ... and I am in a lovely suite - albeit for just one night.

So checked-out of Table Bay this morning and 45 minutes later I was in Stellenbosch and at Rust en Vrede (Peace & Tranquility) home to an awesome vineyard (founded in 1694) and restaurant (2007). I spent the morning with "birthday boy" Chef John Shuttleworth (& delightful wife) cooking two dishes - the first made of springbok ... awesome and the second, a dessert, with pear, doughnuts infused with maple syrup, pear sorbet, geranium pannacotta (yes, really) ... outrageously good!

I then spent a couple of hours with the estate owner, the flambouyant Jean Engelbrecht, tasting three of his wines. A BIG Shiraz, a BIGGGER Syrah and a delicious Shiraz/Cab blend ...

Rust has won many accolades over the years ... and I am so pleased that we got in on the show.

From there, it was a 45 minute zoooom to Franschhoek ... looking forward to tomorrow.
Me injecting syrup into a doughnut! What fun!
Last night's Cape Town skyline
John with springbok
Dessert

My ride - a BMW 640i convertible - vrooooooom
A drink problem I wish I had!
My wee pool at Le Quartier Francais
 
blogger template powered by fraktiv