Wednesday 25 May 2011

THANK YOU - Gary Kershaw!

As Porky the Pig said at the end of his cartoon - "that's all folks!!!". The boys are currently sitting in the Virgin lounge waiting to fly to London ... and I am sitting in the Star Alliance lounge waiting to fly to Vancouver.

I was very sad to be leaving The Post Ranch Inn, Soaring and The Big Sur. I watched a spectacular sunset last night ... and cooed as I sat in my hottub as a bank of fog & cloud wafted around my suite this morning ...

We drove the one hour to Monterey and the Bay Aquarium. First up I met up with Makana the albatross. She had a damaged wing as a chick and subsequently cannot fly. Instead she delights crowds with her nibbling, soft squawking and her mating dance! She likes men ... she liked me ... she nibbled on me and did a little dance!

From there we wandered around what was once the largest (& last to close) sardine cannery in Cannery Row.

I played with Bat Rays, sea cucumbers, crabs and even a starfish!

Finally, we headed out to meet Chris de Angelo - the sea otter keeper. She has five female sea otters on site who act as surrogate mothers to baby otters who are orphaned or abandoned. Sea otters are cute BUT have a bite ... AND they also eat to live! Very easy to train ... All in all - a lovely feature and great ending to this episode ...

Then the sad drive to San Francisco Airport ...

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh .....

Makana - the gorgeous & lovely - Laysan albatross
My lasting memory of The Post Ranch Inn

Who's that Sea Otter looking at me?
Bat Ray
Sardines swirling ...
 
blogger template powered by fraktiv