Tuesday 24 May 2011

It's my last night in the Big Sur ... and indeed California. I have just watched the sun set over the Pacific Ocean and I am mildly depressed! It was just so beautiful ... a red sky ... calm ... ethereal ... perfect ... I am going to miss it VERY much indeed.

So - after a lovely dinner last night with Mike the owner, I slept like a kitten. Therefore I was full of beans this morning as we drove the 5 minutes to the Henry Miller Library.

There are no golf courses or tennis courts here in the Big Sur - it's against the law! I am not joking! So what is there to do? Well - hiking ... NOTHING ... and erm ... making sweet, sweet love! All the locals I have met boast that the Big Sur is the finest place in the world to have "fun". Sadly, I didn't have any of this "fun" on this visit but I can see why it's shagtastic!

The celebrated American author Henry Miller was fond of the ladies. He is most famous for Tropic of Cancer -- a seminal 20th century American tome if there ever was one. Anyway -- I met up with Magnus Toren -- a total dude -- and his delightfully gorgeous pooch Bella -- to find out more about Miller and his life ...

From there we popped next door to meet Greg Hawthorne -- artist and golfer. Greg's work dominates the Post Ranch Inn ... it's contemporary and fun -- like him. His house is a work of art ... we had fun here. He also taught me - finally - how to hold a golf club properly. He even lent me a club to swing all afternoon - which I did. His art is fabulous ... and expensive! One day Greg ... one day ... !
With Bella ... gorgeous
Last night we did some star-gazing ... this is Saturn ... taken on my Leica ...
Henry Miller Library ...
Miller's typewriter
Could not keep my paws off Bella!
REALLY?!
Magnus


Greg



Greg with his pal ...
Spot the dummy (clue: he's on the left!)
Ganbare!
SWING! (am I breaking the law?)
 
blogger template powered by fraktiv