Wednesday 22 September 2010

I spent a truly wonderful day with my parents ...

As a treat, my father took me to Tooting ... a suburb of London which is quite cosmopolitan and is filled with Indian restaurants. I grew up in a VERY white part of England ... the county of Surrey ... and was taken to Tooting and indeed Southall every weekend to watch Indian movies (the sole reason I now HATE anything that vaguely resembles a musical) and eat food that Ma couldn't cook at home.

While my school chums went to McDonalds or the local curry house (Bangladeshi or Pakistani food ... which was not very good) I gorged on fabulous fresh food that could have been made in Mumbai or Delhi ...

ANYWAY - I love pizza ... pizza, pizza, pizza in my belly (etc) ... it is the equivalent to me of a fine 30 year old single malt whisky and a Cohiba Robusto ... BUT dosa ... well that's a 40 year old Springbank and a Davidoff Millennium Edition Special R ... exceptional ...

Dosa is a fried pancake made of rice flour stuffed with potato and eaten with an Indian soup ... like miso. This has been my treat since I was a wee tot. Dosa is a South Indian dish ... and my family comes from up North - Agra & New Delhi ... so by rights I shouldn't really like it ... I don't ... I LOVE IT!

Pops took me to Chennai Dosa on Tooting High Street and we ordered the family dosa. It is a whopping 5 feet - YES - 5 feet in diameter. Usually, 1 dosa is around 10 inches in diameter. I just couldn't say "no" to this record sized dosa! We polished this off rather too quickly.

The consequence is that I am SURE my heart stopped twice this afternoon ...

I am skipping dinner ...

Song of the Day: Mary Had a Little Lamb - Wings (the second song ever bought for me)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VCQtedaw338&feature=related

Weather: Warm & Sunny ...

my wonderful Pops (on the very left) with the proud restaurant manager (what a 'tache he has!) ... and a very hungry me!!!
 
blogger template powered by fraktiv