Thursday 29 November 2012

Back home -- finally -- but for how long (actually just 3 days)?!

Flight home: four hours & 20 minutes from Mauritius to Johannesburg ... and then a further eleven hours back to London ... long but comfortable ...

Our last morning in lovely Mauritius was spent with Marc (General Manager of The Oberoi) ... sharing his passion of classic cars.

He owns a classic Healey Sprite (Frogeye in the UK, Bugeye in the US) in British racing green ... and we went for a cigar-smoking drive from the resort to a nearby restaurant Chez Tante Athelie to meet its owner Robert Gordon-Gentil ... who has a superb collection of classics - old Mercedes, Jaguars, Alfa Romeos and a superb Triumph. I am not a classic car man but I appreciated these ones.

Marc drove me about ... it was fun!

All good things come to an end ... and this is how I finished 2012 ... 

"Well, I have come to the end of my time in Mauritius. I have been astounded by the superb levels of luxury and service at my two resorts - the Four Seasons at Anahita and of course The Oberoi. I had a wonderful diving experience, played golf, enjoyed some tasty Mauritian cuisine and rum and landed that HUGE yellow fin tuna. But the highlight for me was cuddling Coco the lion cub. In 1896, the American writer Mark Twain wrote - God created Mauritius and from it, he created paradise. Indeed Mauritius IS one of the most beautiful places on earth. Until next time from Inside Luxury Travel ... from me, Varun Sharma ... Goodbye ... "






 
blogger template powered by fraktiv