Saturday 5 May 2012

Day 3 - Pafos, Cyprus


Birdie!


Today I got my first ever birdie on a par-5 ... for the goofers (as opposed to golfers) among you, this - as you will know - is a rare achievement!


And I got it on camera too ...


The day started off at the Kouyiduka Watermill - 25 minutes drive from the Almyra. Here they make the most fabulous bread and halloumi cheese on the island. In fact, people travel from 100 miles away to buy the cheese & bread. The water mill is over 200 years old but was fully renovated in 2006. The bread is leavened ... i.e. no yeast (I think) ... and halloumi is made from goat's milk. Both these processes are done by hand here ...


I was shown round by the manager Elena Gregoriou and two of the sweetest little-old-ladies from the local village who are experts in making cheese and bread.


I did have a go at baking ... with somewhat mixed results!


It did all taste delicious by the way.


Then we headed to the Elea estate ... home to the most fabulous golf course on the island. The director of golf - Ross Robertson - is a fabulous human being ... and is rather good at golf too. He took us around the course ... and I played rather well ... including 3s on the par-3s and that birdie on a par-5 ... Tim & Jack were most disinterested by my achievement ... I would describe each shot ... but I don't want to bore you either ...!


We also enjoyed "The Greatest Bacon Roll in any Golf Course Anywhere In the World" ... erm ... it was nice ... but was NOT the halfway house at Wentworth bacon roll which actually does have "The Greatest Bacon Roll in any Golf Course Anywhere In the World" ...


The course was designed by Nick Faldo and is good for amateurs and professionals alike.


Cyprus is not known as a winter golfing destination but with courses like Elea, it soon will be.


In the suite tonight working while the boys play in Paphos town ... also I want to see this MOON!

With Elena and Marina
With Xanthi
Wine, bread and cheese! Yum!
I had this for an eagle ... but missed by just 5 centimetres ... 
Ross looks impressed (!)
Great shot Jack ... (spot the ball)
After a great afternoon, a handshake and then off for a beer!
 
blogger template powered by fraktiv