Friday 14 October 2011

"Wake up Mister Varun. You are not dreaming - you really are staying in the Tata Suite - the Presidential - at the Taj Mahal Palace in Mumbai". Yes - this smile is totally real. I am in a 5000 square foot suite - 15 rooms - 2 bedrooms - stunningly designed suite ... all by myself ... except "Cookie Monster" on my t-shirt!
Five bathrooms - the master one (mine) has the bath and walk-in shower ...
I have a gym, my own spa with steam room and sauna ...
Snug for afternoon tea ... mahogany dining table .. seating for ten ...
I have a personal fitness trainer, a personal masseuse, a personal chef and a personal butler! I am NOT a fan of a butler service ... in fact, I find it quite intrusive ... but this suite is so exquisite and large ... that I actually need the fabulous Manoj Gaikwad to keep me sane! He has been brilliant ...
My private study ... with a "Presidential desk and armchair" ... postcards written and on their way by the way!
Oh yes! oh YES! The main living room is breathtaking. The dome is the one you see on the right hand side of any photo of the hotel ... chandeliers, a bar, sofas, leather armchairs ... all "Made in India". There's also a conference room which seats 12 ... Much pietre dura, gold inlaid doors, marble and mohagany floors, silver mirror frames ...          A M A Z I N G
My view is of The Gateway of India - finished in 1924 ... a full 21 years AFTER The Taj hotel opened! It was built by the original Mr Tata after he was denied entry to another local hotel for being the wrong colour. His legacy is the one of the most iconic hotels in the world. And it shares its name with one of the most recognisable buildings in the world too ... (The Taj Mahal in Agra).
So happy - I had to call Pops to tell him! Nice photo James!
On the steps of the Grand Staircase. The Tower was built in 1973 - but I am living in the heritage wing ... The Palace.
The hotel boasts around 4000 pieces of Indian art, sculptures and tapestries. I went on a "historic art tour" with art dealer and Taj art curator Mortimer Chatterjee ... nice fellow! Great fun too!
 
blogger template powered by fraktiv