Sunday 21 March 2010

My last full day in Singapore.

It's been a truly lovely day as I did NOTHING! I fell out of bed and into another bed by the swimming pool ... and sat in the hot, hot sun for an hour or so. I fell out of that bed and back into mine in the Sarkies Suite ... I did a little reading, a little swimming and I am not sure I actually spoke to anyone!

OK - to the Sarkies Suite - which has been my home for the past few nights. There's a lounge with a wet bar, a kitchenette, dining room (with a 12-seater table that can be transformed from a rectangular Western style table to a Chinese round table in 5 minutes), a huge four-poster bedroom suite (for me) and another enormous bedroom with a jacuzzi bath. It's named The Sarkies Suite after the four Sarkies brothers who created Raffles along with other legendary hotels in Asia like the Eastern & Oriental in Penang. The list of guests who have stayed in the hotel is a roll-call of ALL the rich & famous who have ever lived. From the likes of Ava Gardner and Elizabeth Taylor to the A-listers of today. I am hoping that maybe Audrey Hepburn slept on my side of the bed!

The service at Raffles has improved drastically since last year and I saw staff smiling & laughing for seemingly no reason. I like!

I am just amazed by the sheer numbers of tourists that visit Raffles. Camera flashes are popping every minute of every day ...

The hotel was founded by the four Armenian, Sarkies Brothers who opened the 10-room colonial bungalow at Beach Road on 1 December 1887. The brothers also built the Eastern & Oriental in Penang and The Strand in Rangoon. They went bust in the 20th century "Depression". It's now run by Raffles hotels ...

I have had a wonderful time here ... I wonder when I will next be back ....

Song of the Day: Tweeter & the Monkey Man - Travelling Wilburys

Weather: Hot & sun ... hot & rainy!







 
blogger template powered by fraktiv