Monday 15 March 2010

0800 - meet up with Roger Butler from Red Tag Trout Tours for an all day fly-fishing session. He looks like an enormous yeti with white shaggy beard ... a kinder & more thoughtful man you would be lucky to meet. We drove the 90 minutes to Currawong Lakes - 3 private fishing lakes towards the east coast of Tasmania. The lakes are filled with brown trout (catch & release) and rainbow trout (catch & eat).
Last year at The Sonora Resort in Canada I caught an 18lb Chinook salmon. This was the first & last fish I ever expected to catch. Roger spent 30 minutes explaining the basics of fly-fishing.
Apart from the theory, there was a lesson in casting and retrieving. It's NOT easy!

I got hold of the net ... that (& dynamite) is my kind of fishing!
but with Roger looking on, I gave it a go ...
After an hour in the hot sunshine, a silly rainbow trout hooked itself onto my line!! Roger & the crew went WILD! I looked and sounded bemused ... apparently!
After several minutes of "reel, reel, reel" ... and "don't let it go" ... Roger went down to the lake banks to pick the trout out of the water!
I CAUGHT IT!
It was ugly!
But it was 5 pounds of pure trout ... and it was ALL mine!
And looked like me too!!

After a wash and it being gutted, it came back to The Priory where tomorrow, it WILL be cooked by Lisa ...
Di - our guide - got nibbled on by a leech ... it was NOT pleasant!
WHAT A GREAT DAY! I caught a fish! 2nd in 2 years ... I am almost a professional! Ha!
Song of the Day: One Tribe - Black Eyes Peas
Weather: Rainbow trout-tastic!
 
blogger template powered by fraktiv