Thursday 20 August 2009

This is the 150th diary entry of the year!

So - this morning I woke up to heavy rain again! We chose Scotland in August so we could have sunshine and warmth! Hmmmmm!

It's A-level exam results day and I am very pleased to say that my dear friend James - who I remember as a very, very wee chap who collected Pokemon cards - is now going to Leeds University to read graphic design and Emily, Jimmy - the camera assistant's girlfriend, got a scary amount of "A" grades and is now off to Durham University ... I am so pleased for both of them! What fun they both are going to have ...

Breakfast was a crazy affair as the three of us plotted to outdo the weather! We failed miserably!

First up, more filming around the hotel ... including the shopping arcade which is filled with luxury brands - Escada and Dunhill for instance. We then headed to The Still Room. This is one of the best shops in the world as it sells wonderful whiskies ... and other brands from Diageo which owns Gleneagles. Drinking whisky early in the morning is never a good idea ... even worse when it's cask strength Caol Isla (at 61.4% strength) ... and is yummy! hic!

After a filling lunch at Deseo ... pizza ... we headed to the Andrew Fairlie restaurant here in the hotel - the only 2 Michelin starred restaurateur in Scotland. He is a very unassuming man ... dedicated to his craft and was a pleasure to film with! We cooked his signature "smoked lobster" which is smoked using wood-chips from old whisky casks (Ardbeg) ... DELICIOUS!

We also filmed my rooftop terrace which has 360 degree views of the estate ... yes, we did get 30 minutes of respite from the rain and even got some sunshine!

I also got to meet the hotel General Manager Bernard Murphy ... a very nice man indeed. He has invited me back when I am not working and you know, I will take him up on his offer! The staff here ... and it's a big hotel with a huge staff roster.... are very pleasant indeed! Even when
rain is heavy outside, the smiles at Reception are bright and inspiring! Very lovely indeed (thank you Nikki)!

Tomorrow, I get to play on the PGA Centenary Golf Course! Awesome!

Song of the Day (for Emily from Jimmy): You're Gorgeous - Babybird
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2jGhYExo4Q

Weather: A bad whisky - damp and dull!

my james

emily

sampling whisky at 0900

a baby Aga - in the playroom - still £450 ..! (I didn't bake those cakes btw ...)

andrew fairlie - 2 michelin-starred chef

up on my roof terrace ... note, rain has stopped!

with general manager - bernard j murphy
 
blogger template powered by fraktiv