Tuesday 26 May 2009

Mum, I pulled a bird!

Plopped out of bed at 0600 ... got ready and headed down to breakfast ... as my suite was turned round. A delightful way to start the day as I was looked after by Pauline. After much to'ing and fro'ing, I have decided that a bowl of blackberries, smoked salmon and scrambled egg with a toasted muffin and fresh 1/2 orange, 1/2 cranberry is my ideal hotel breakfast. Yum.

Our day would not have gone so well if not for Simon - the Deputy GM - who has kept us on schedule, in food & drink and laughing. He's been brilliant.

My suite - the Queen Anne. She was Queen of England from 1702 - 1714 ... one of her cousins lived in the Castle and she sent a portrait of herself ... it was hung in this suite ... but is now on "public" view outside the suite.

It's very comfy indeed. Large bed, modern bathroom, Waterford crystal chandeliers and views of the lake and the golf course!

The Castle itself was the seat for the O'Brien family .. I have a friend called Peter O'Brien ... I wonder ...

From the suite review, I went to interview the GM - Mark Nolan ... who has been here ... well let's say ... a good long time. He - of course - knows EVERYTHING about this place ... including the obvious .. 410 acres of land - 85 rooms and 13 suites ... spa ... shooting ... archery ... golf ....

The Spa was next. I was pampered like a pooch by three lovely ladies: June, Kiera & Elaine who did a manicure, facial, hair trim ... and made me smile a lot ... We spent two hours filming the spa which although not "huge", fits perfectly in the Castle. The Spa uses a "local" spa product - Voya which I had never heard of ... but will be trying out! There's a lovely note on the side of the "seaweed bath" box ..."may contain sand and small crustacea" ... sweet.

OK - to the outside next where it was raining & sunny in equal measures. I popped over to see Dave Atkinson - the falconry chap. His two "ladies" Cara and Ruby were very easy to manage ... well only if you had chicken in your glove. Never look a Harris Hawk in the eyes ... they look mean! I have not done falconry for many years ... it's quite exciting.

Lunch then to the kitchen to meet Dave Macann - the executive chef. I have done LOADS of cooking features but Tim says this was one of the best. I learnt how to make a "passion fruit" souffle ... I will try it at home this weekend!

Sadly left Simon as I popped down to the golf course for a few whacks on this beautiful track. The 7th hole - Par 3 ... is ... STUNNING!

Finally after some resort filming and a small bite to eat, I headed off to the golf academy where I spent an hour getting ever so depressed about the state of my wretched game - some extra practice on the "night" practice area . Not one ball went straight ... or far ... I have a large glass of whisky ahead of me ... tomorrow is "show" golf day. Urk.

Song of the Day: I've Got My Mind Set on You - George Harrison http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_niy2ZM5Jo

Weather: mixed
it's never too early to start

castle view from my window
bed
queen anne suite
june
hair & nails - kiera
face - elaine

look mom, i pulled a bird! (cara)
she ain't heavy
dave mccann

simon hodgson - star!
 
blogger template powered by fraktiv