Monday 25 May 2009

I went from a walk to a trot today ... maybe by the end of the series I will be able to canter!


I have not described my crew much. Tim and I have been working together for 8 years ... he is THE best cameraman in the world ... he makes me look half-decent, always has a smile on his face (if you can see through the beard) and works like a slave! James is the new addition. He is extremely good as Tim's assistant and he is also a VERY nice fellow. Today he saved my life and the lives of the good driving public of Ireland! I can't drive without music and the CD player was not working properly so James managed to hot-wire my Blackberry into the stereo which meant music all day!


Another early start .. but we all had breakfast round my kitchen table. From then we went into the garden to interview Peter MacCann - General Manager of The Merrion. He's just one of the nicest people in the world ... and a great hotelier. He is - as I have said - the main reason I have been visiting the Merrion for a decade now! Don't get me wrong, the hotel is THE finest in Dublin .. but having him there makes it more special.


Anyway, once again with heavy hearts, we check-out of a much-loved hotel... and motor the 2 hours to Clonlara for a wonderful afternoon filming. The equestrian centre in Clonlara is run by Davnet Kiernan-O'Brien .. with her 6 kiddies and 6 pups .. oh and over 100 horses. She trains people in horsemanship (is there such a word?) - focusing on eventing and mainly dressage ...


So - she basically taught me a) how to go from a walk to a trot b) how to "move" a horse left to right ... right to left and diagonally - in an indoor training facility. My horse - a beautiful creature - called Bailey was very gentle with me ... it was a terrifically fun time and afterwards 6 of her star pupils, showed me how it is really done! PHEW!


From there it was just a 20 minute drive to Dromoland Castle. The GM - Mark Nolan was there to greet us and we have an actioned packed few days here. From my suite, I can see a lake, a golf course and I am currently watching as the sky turns black. This place is very pretty indeed.


A few weeks ago I was in Tenerife staying at The Royal Garden Villas. The GM there Fiona is Irish and when she heard I was here, sent me a lovely bowl of fruit! Thank you ... and Happy Birthday!


Tonight I sleep well ... I am driving-tired and am so excited about tomorrow!


Song of the Day: Wishing - Flock of Seagulls - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iS9RPyznAPg


Weather: convertible



my friend Peter MacCann

the equestrian school


sitting on bailey


two cheekies - rascal & aoibhin


the ladies & gentlemen of clonlara


beanie

becca



arrival at dromoland castle


mark nolan - general manager - dromoland castle
 
blogger template powered by fraktiv