Friday 15 May 2009

Another long, long day ... on just 4 hours sleep ... I had intentions of getting to bed at a reasonable hour this evening but it's 1045 and I have loads of things to do.

First up this morning - the Museum of Anthropology. The museum is dedicated to the First Nations. So what is the First Nations? Well, its the people of Canada pre-Europeanisation i.e. the indigenous or aboriginal people of Canada. There were 30 odd "tribes" that populated British Columbia. The Museum celebrates the art in the form of poles (totem-like) and other carved artefacts. It is a MUST see in Vancouver. After Europeans took over BC, the communities were broken-up but now they are being re-recognised. There are First Nations in the US ... for instance - a First Nations tribe would be the Navajo. A lovely lady called Jennifer Webb showed us around the exibits including art by Musqueam artists ... the tribe that own the land the Museum is located on.

It was a very, very sad farewell to Stephen and Jill at the Shangri-La. I have been VERY impressed by the service at the hotel ... all from the heart. Very few properties in the world have achieved the levels of service here. It was a very pleasant but very unexpected suprise. I will particularly miss Jill who has been mothering us all and made an excellent "tv wife"!

Also a sad farewell to Tom Ryan, our fixer/guide who has been a mine of knowledge AND a good guy ... one of - if not THE - best guides I have ever worked with.

Vancouver ... I love it!

We met our new hosts Wendy & Jo at the local airport, where we jumped on a helicopter to the Sonora Resort - 45 minutes from the city.

There to greet me on the helipad were 2 golden retrievers ... who will be my best friends for the next few days. They are just gorgeous ... Lucky & Shadow have made my day!!! I got ear licks and neck nuzzles ... lovely.

My cellphone does NOT work here which is excellent news.

I am staying in Eagle Rock - an enormous residence ... which I will describe in detail tomorrow.

I am totally loving Canada!

Song of the Day: Trooper - We're Here for a Good Time

Weather: Ice Cool



tired ... but happy
lucky me ... with "lucky" the pooch
the museum of anthropology
Tom - the BEST fixer ... ever!
 
blogger template powered by fraktiv