Friday 10 April 2009

I need lessons in photography! The basics ... you know, like learning how to recharge the battery ... or how to delete old photos from the memory stick. Anyway, I have been without my photograph-taker for the past 18 hours and it's a pain.

I have several "homes" in London but the one of choice when I am working is The Athenaeum on Piccadilly. The hotel itself holds fantastic memories for me. It was once run by a wonderful lady called Sally Bulloch. If it was not for her - opening doors (& windows!) and encouraging me - I would not have started luxury travel television all those years ago. She actually starred as an unruly pupil in the first St Trinian's movie AND her brother played Boba-Fett in Star Wars. Sadly she died a short while ago - she is missed terribly by all who knew her.

She once introduced me to God ... hmm ... it's no secret that Sally liked the odd drink ... and once when I was there for 4, 5 and 6 o'clock glasses of champagne she took me over to meet God! It turned out to be Charlon Heston who pointed out that he played Moses, the Son of God ... and only the VOICE of God ... never the one ... it was an experience indeed! Sally attracted the A-list to the hotel - many of whom still return year after year.

So - The Athenauem. It's General Manager Jonathan Critchard is a lovely fellow and the PR Alison Wheatley is wonderful! They always make me feel totally at home and understand that sadly my life is a journey from one hotel bed to another. I always get a lovely room or suite with buckwheat pillows - some whisky - fruit - water and total privacy. Heaven!

A hotel is judged by service .. and staff ... and The Athenaeum does not disappoint in either. Sadly today - Alexis - from the Front Desk leaves ... but I have a feelng that I will meet her again in her homeland of South Africa later in the year.

Next time I stay at The Athenaeum, I promise photos!

Last night, I had a late-late dinner at Tamarind (Mayfair) - after the editing finally finished - which used to be my favourite Indian restaurant in London. I am sad to report that it was not exciting or tasty ... it was actually rather drab and I won't be going there again. Bombay Brasserie next time ... yum ... any takers???

It's the Easter Holidays now .. so it's time for family & friends ... I am off!

Song of the Day: Never Forget - Take That

Weather: Blustery


Sally (photo from her obit in The Daily Telegraph)


 
blogger template powered by fraktiv