Friday 24 April 2009

Greetings from “La Isla de la Eterna Primavera” or "The Island of Eternal Spring”. I am in Tenerife.

For those who don’t know, Tenerife is the largest of the seven Canary Islands and is located just off the coast of Africa. The sun is shining, the sky is blue ... the whisky is flowing and my cigar is polluting the clear spring air ...

We all have heroes in our lives ... and mine is my Papa. One thing he has always said to me is “if you can’t say something good ... say little or nothing at all”. I am going to extrapolate on that and include the word “brands” ...

My journey here was crazy. I departed from one of the “London” airports ... late ... two hours in the end ... which really screwed up my day. Thankfully I was at the front of the plane but this had problems of its own ... the television screen was right over my head. This would not have been so bad if it weren’t for the fact that the airline was showing “Australia”. Now, I walked out of the movie for real after 30 minutes after finding it ... well ... crap ... but at 35,000 feet I did not have that option. I have to say that Nicole Kidman panting did occasionally distract me from my book ... but to be honest I have some MUCH prettier Australian friends!

The flight from London to Tenerife was just over 4 hours ... tough head-winds were to blame ...

ANYWAY – I finally arrived at Tenerife’s southern airport (Reina Sofia) and was ferried to the Abama hotel – around 30 minutes away.

You can’t miss the Abama ... it’s HUGE and it’s pink (well, terracotta) ... and Moor-ish . There are 476 rooms & suites ... and it was built in 2007. It’s now managed by Ritz-Carlton. Now, I have had issues with RC in the past but some of their European offerings are fabulous. The RC Berlin, The Arts in Barcelona, Penha Longa in Portugal and Villa Padierna in Marbella are all in my favourite European hotel list. I have high hopes for Abama.

First a guided tour of the property with Jessica from the PR Department. The resort is HUGE ... and there’s an 18-hole golf course! More on the facilities tomorrow.

Later ... just back from a Japanese meal at Kabuki. The last time I had a Japanese meal so good was in Tokyo! I am so full – I am about to explode! Not that I want you to feel sorry for me BUT I often end up eating alone but this evening the Kabuki team ... Stefanie, Katherine et al ... looked after me as if I was the only guest there. Lovely! A great end to a rather rubbish day ...

Song of the Day: Thinking of You – Katy Perry

Weather: Calm


resort beach
the view
the abama
 
blogger template powered by fraktiv