Saturday 25 April 2009

I am so full of food – GOOD food - that I think I am about to pop. I am trying desperately to get fitter and lose a couple of pounds ... evenings like this one are certainly not helping.

I got up quite early to play a round of the Abama 18-hole golf course. It’s actually one of the few chances I have had this year to play ... and sadly there too many instances of goofer and very few of golfer. I was playing on my own until the 7th hole when two lovely Belgian ladies invited me to join them. It was like playing with professionals ... they both play 3 times a week ... and hit a golf ball like Tiger Woods and one of them is 65 years old! The main thing was that it was great fun, the sun was shining and I only lost one ball! Yay!

The course by the way is quite tricky – not one green is flat. Lots of water dots around the course ... but the views of the sea and the hotel are quite superb.

I did manage a quick work out in the gym ... and also spent some of the afternoon asleep in the sunshine ... yum.

So – this evening. I was a guest at MB – the fine dining restaurant in the hotel set up by the 3-Michelin starred Basque restaurateur Martin Berasetegui. The meal was simply superb. I started off with Iberian ham that melted in the mouth, followed that with sensational lobster ravioli and ended with a yoghurt dessert. Tenerife’s top sommelier - Alvaro – led me through a oeno-journey ... starting with a 30-year old sherry - Oloroso, then a local red – Crater 1994 – finishing off with a Malvasia. There was no room for coffee! I should also mention there were 5 butters on offer including tomato, mushroom and betroot flavoured!

Last night it was Kabuki ... tonight MB ... both wonderful. I always worry for hotels that have such amazing (well, sometimes) celebrity restaurants, that they overshadow the hotel’s own offerings. That has certainly happened at the Abama. The room-service was excellent ... for the service but awful on the food front ...

I have left the TV on while in my room ... there is very little English offering ... so have been watching a lot of German music TV ... most of it is truly awful ...

BUT ...

Song of the Day: Alles Neu - Peter Fox (check out the excellent video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?gl=DE&v=qdtLCfEcPL4)

Weather: Bliss

p.s. I don’t speak Spanish but I will never forget the “do not disturb” sign on my door – “no molestar” ... molestar ... fabulous!

p.p.s Mexico – flu ... thankfully we are now not filming there ...

p.p.p.s facilities at Abama tomorrow! promise!


 
blogger template powered by fraktiv