Monday 14 November 2011

The day started with a sad farewell to Casa Branca and the delightful Isabel ... and we drove 25 minutes to Companhia dos Engenhos do Norte ... and the boss Filipe Canning Clode. His family have been making rum on the island since 1927.

The sugar cane is squished and then fermented and then distilled. After 3 days it is a white rum – at 50 percent which is used in cocktails (poncho at al) .... or poured into French oak casks for 3 years when it is then turned into the “brown rum”. Filipe let me sample a 1977 rum – delicious!

Finally to Quinta do Furao where we did an old fashioned “espedada” or barbecue. Instead of skewers, the hotel GM (Pedro Costa) and I used laurel branches to cook the pork instead! Wonderful taste ... !

I am sitting in the quinta now eating lunch in the sunshine ... the Atlantic is filled with whales ... and it’s just stunning!

On Thursday we leave for Hong Kong.

I loved my time here on Madeira – such a shame i didn’t play any golf or go to the 80’s nightclub in Funchal! Next time ...

I won’t forget Isabel and Luis - two of my favourite people on Madeira ... and of course, huge thanks to the lovely Laura the PR for the Quintas in the UK who we have driven MAD but she still loves us (I think) and is taking us to the Cayman Islands in 2012. Whoohoo!!



 With Laura
 With Filipe
 Quinta do Furao
 With Pedro
Spot the spanner!
 
blogger template powered by fraktiv