Monday 18 October 2010

my first tattoo

I am always surprised by my obvious dependence on technology.

Today, I "lost" my beloved BBM (BlackBerry Messenger) and email system for many, many hours ... and it hurt. I had to rely on smoke-signals and Morse Code to get my message out. Don't get me wrong, this wasn't a Four Seasons Bora Bora issue ... just mine and my handset ...

So, up too early and after a brief breakfast, headed out into the lagoons and Ocean with Oliver Martin, the FS resort resident marine biologist. We snorkelled with black-tipped sharks, lemon sharks, rays and oodles of pretty fish. We also experienced a safe dive in the "coral parks". Here at the FS, Oliver "grows" coral and releases it 'into the island habitat" ... good work, monsieur.

From there, back to the suite to review it ... and to get my first tattoo! The Polynesian people (& Tahitians) are covered in tattoos which all have meanings. No "love, hate" tattoos, stories of wind, earth, sea creatures etc ... some of them are so artistic ...

Mata Tiki is a fierce looking chap who is the number one tattoo artist in Tahiti (& her Islands) ... he showed me how it is done before planting a ray on my shoulder ... it looks so beautiful and is related to my name ...

Tomorrow I am off on a 3-night boat cruise of the islands ... so maybe no diary ... wish me luck!

shark food
meet Ray
the most beautiful seas in the world
mata tiki
on the table
the pain!
the result
my view
i felt homesick today ... but a Maisy-looking cat appeared at my suite ... made me smile ...
our friends/keepers/extra crew - mathilde and brad
 
blogger template powered by fraktiv