Sunday 21 June 2009

This entry is dedicated to the greatest hero in my life, the most wonderful father anyone could have ... my Pops ... I smile every time I think of him! It's Father's Day and I miss him very much ...

ANYWAY ...

A very dull start to the day. Grey, windy ... oh dear ... another yesterday?

Within 2 hours, the clouds had lifted and the sun was out ... shining with purpose and San Diego sprang to life. We drove the 20 minutes back to Montgomery Field Airport ... and met up with the team from Barnstorming Adventures. Before I knew it, I was in an "old" 1940's bi-plane with pilot Chuck Buckley, zooming around San Diego. Awesome! Real seat of your pants stuff ... no parachutes ... open to the elements!

I am no Captain Sea-Legs. In fact, I usually get sea-sick in the bath! So, the idea of sailing around the Bay and into the Sea ... was ... well ... filled me with trepidation. The boat is called Stars and Stripes 11 ... one of the most famous racing ships in the world. It now takes paying guests on an authentic "race" ... The boat was a participant in the America's Cup and although slightly modified for passengers, it still holds excitement and that awe factor ...

I was looked after by the lovely Marnie Buddo who ensured that I got to try steering the boat with Captain Lynn Hanna ... grind the winches ... and eat pretzels. The whole trip lasted 3 hours ... and although I nearly fell asleep a dozen times, I THOROUGHLY enjoyed it! AND I didn't feel ill ONCE! Thanks Buddo!

The sail takes you through the Bay, into the Ocean ... at speeds reaching 11 knots. It's also a fabulous way to see the city.

Sadly we checked out from the Se ... ONLY after pizza with Tohnia ... I have had a terrific time at the hotel. I have never been the first guest to stay in a Suite BUT I was ... in number 2004 ... ! I will be revisiting there someday - for sure. The staff is happy, young, enthusastic and kind. I will mss them all ... Sophie, Lolly, Karen, Chuck, Michelle, Jessica, Greg, Olivia ... and everyone else!

ANYWAY - I am now at the Torrey Pines Lodge. Comfortable ... and warm.

It's been a very good day!

Song of the Day: Mr Blue Sky - ELO
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98P-gu_vMRc

Weather: Terrific!


my bi-plane
chuck buckley

above san diego

115 ft mast of Stars & Stripes 11

who left me in charge? (Capt. Lynn Hanna)

erm - work as well?

lovely marnie buddo

the Blacker Suite lounge at Torrey Pines Lodge
the Blacker Suite bedroom
 
blogger template powered by fraktiv