Monday 5 March 2012

Day 7 - Thailand - Chiang Mai


Greetings from Chiang Mai!


I am not an particularly emotional fellow but I have to admit to a quiet tear as I left The Tented Camp to come here. 


We were all up early again this morning for an early gallump ... and bath with the elephants.


I was sitting atop Yuki by 7 am ... and we first wandered through the jungle stopping only for breakfast ... well, she did! I just sat and watched as she munched through pounds of lush grass. We then ambled towards the Mekong River and before I knew it, I was in there ... the water was cold but in the end ... I didn't care.


We packed and left ... after saying a genuinely sad farewell to Yoni & Brigitte and the staff of the Tented Camp - surely one of the nicest bunch of people ever assembled in one place. I was at the camp in 2012 ... and thought then it was one of the most amazing travel experiences on earth ... this visit just enhanced that ...


Some think that elephants don't remember repeat guests ... but I am 100% sure they do (no arguments there) ... Yuki has certainly a place in my heart ... and one day I will be back to see her again. The old wives tale that elephants have long memories is true - by the way! An elephant told me ... !


The drive from Chiang Rai to Mai is 4 hours ... there is a light aircraft flight but we have too much equipment ... I was last here 2 years ago as well but I am now staying in a new suite with my own pool - how I wish all my friends & family were here. I suppose Tim and Nicola are here so that's a plus ...


Bed now - filming tomorrow ...


Our Morning Bath!
Tim films the day's events ...
 
blogger template powered by fraktiv