Thursday 23 June 2011

HOLIDAY! Yes - today was a holiday ... well ... for me it was anyway.

I felt like a tourist wandering around London and it was wonderful.

You remember that earlier in the year I visited The Hutton in Nashville and met a lovely chap called Doug McHugh. He is the General Manager of St. Ermin's Hotel in Victoria; close to New Scotland Yard, St James Park Tube and indeed St James Park. The hotel used to be a grotty and not-so-Jolly hotel until it was taken over and refurbished ... total spend on purchase and works I would estimate at £100 million pounds.

There are 331 rooms & suites.

I can honestly say that - although a 4-star "deluxe" - it is far superior in service and look than at least 30% of the 5-Stars I have stayed in. I have slept in more than 600 5-star hotels in the past 10 years. Of course I could be accused of being biased - especially as I know Doug - but I do sit and "secret squirrel" the interaction between the staff (170+) and the guests and I have only seen happy, satisfied smiles all round. Bravo. I would have NO problem staying here again ... or advising friend and family to stay here too ...

So my day started bright & early ... a bit to early ... but hey - I am on holiday!

I popped up to The Mayfair Salon ... my favourite barber shop in the world. It is just behind Claridge's - near Bond Street. Until 8 weeks ago it was run by two old fellows who I nicknamed Waldorf & Stackler (the two old men from the Muppet Show). They were there for decades.

I was worried that the new owners would just not be the same. The surprise was that my barber, a young Turkish chap Emre, gave me THE best haircut of my life! He also used a flame to remove some stray hairs too! A first for me!

Lunch at the JW Marriott Steakhouse with some rather pretty PR ladies ...

A trip to Davidoff for a cigar was wonderful - as ever! Edward and Eddie are on top form ... AND almost finally ... I met up with Gary (South African Airways) and zoomed up to The Langham for a "Summer Cigar Party" where we sampled some new "La Flor de Cano" cigars!

FINALLY to the RAC Club on Pall Mall for a glass of water!

Tomorrow, I fly to Mauritius!

I love holidays! I just need more of them ...

 With Doug on the Terrace
 Fabulous barber shop
 The lovely Alison Wheatley from Jumeirah

 Lunch
 Royal Academy art exhibition
 "Bring on the dancing girls"
 Yes - US$320 per stick!
The wonderful Sahakians - Eddie and Edward - at Davidoff with a cigar roller from the Partagas factory in Havana
 
blogger template powered by fraktiv