Tuesday 16 February 2010

"Travel is sold as freedom - in reality we are as free as lab rats ... "

Well, if you hadn't guessed, for the past few days I have been sleeping in Oman at the Shangri-La's Bar Al Jissah Resort .... at Al Husn (The Castle).

I haven't had a holiday for three years and this one was not only welcome but sorely needed as I fly off to Australia filming for the new series on March 1st.

So I was there 6 days/5 nights and I am now so relaxed that I was actually tempted to not write this diary entry!

I am on the plane home to London. There was a slight delay as SEVEN passengers had sat down in their correct seats but on the wrong aircraft! I am bound for London – they to Munich! There was much bemusement and lots of red face on airline staff. (Another issue I have just found out is that ONLY Johnnie Walker “Red Label” is available for whisky lovers!!! No single malts or even a premium blend! Oh dear ...

Oman is one of the few true luxury destinations in the world. You cannot go there for a backpacker holiday ... there is no rail system ... it’s so hot that you can’t hitchhike ... cabs are rather expensive and the bus service is not totally reliable (so I have been told). I filmed a show here in 2009 and found loads to do and see but needed a ground handler to facilitate this ...

SO – my holiday! Thanks to the resort GM – Arbind Shrestha and PR – Kate Jones – it was a total success. When I mean “success”, I mean that I did a load of sleeping, swimming, sunning, stuffing my face with delicious fare and relaxing! I haven’t felt this good for years! With the Gulf on my doorstep, no high-rises or outrageous building going on, I felt truly at ease ...

The resort has three separate hotels – one for families, one that’s slightly “corporate-y” and Al Husn – the adults only ultra-luxury property. I stayed here ..! There is something for everyone there and with year-round superb weather; it’s a far superior offering to anything that Dubai can offer!

There are so many restaurants offering stunning cuisine that I was spoiled for choice. Al Tanoor offered “buffet”, there was tapas and I enjoyed a superb Italian meal too ... not to mention a sensational meal at Sultanah ... sea-bass cooked in a salt crust ... and roasted duck.

While I am pleased that I am on my way home – I will always look back at my time in Oman as one of the best holidays of my life.

The last words will go to the couple, with strong Cockney accents, who I overheard conversing in the swimming pool ... husband to wife ... “I love this place ... no kids, no Americans ...” wife to husband “or people from Essex” ... “Posh Spice” take note, you may not be welcome here!

Song of the Day: Mnah Mnah from The Muppet Show
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HdUeVAkzEas

Weather: From the sublime (28 degrees & sunny) to the ridiculous (2 degrees & raining)

General Manager - Arbind K Shrestha
My suite Lounge
Bedroom
View from balcony
Out to the Gulf ...
 
blogger template powered by fraktiv