Wednesday 6 January 2010

I am exhausted so I will be VERY brief today!

Up at 0500 and in gym with Jimmy.

0700 - leave warm Mark and head to 97 Orchard Street (Lower East Side) to the Tenement Museum to meet David Eng. The building is a time capsule for the history of New York from 1860's to the 1930's. Was condemned in the 1930's as a health risk ... was found in 1988 and turned into this amazing museum. They have recreated 6 "period" homes in the block ... set in different times ... pre-electricity, pre-water ... to the addition of toilets and running water and electricity ... from a Jewish home to a sweatshop to an Italian home ...

This HAS to be one of the most amazing places to visit in NYC and I thoroughly recommend it. I felt like I was visiting people's actual homes ... which is in reality what it is. Each of the apartments tells a REAL story of real people who lived there. Eerie but amazing ...

1030 - off to Bleeker Street to meet with Amy Bandolik from Foods Of New York Tours ... she took us round Murray's (350 cheeses), Faicco's (ham and amazing rice & cheese boules) and finally Joe's - THE best pizza place in NYC! It was fun and tasty and fun and tasty - ESPECIALLY the pizza!!!

I will not be telling you what I did in the afternoon until next week - as it is THAT special!

Sleep ...

Song of the Day: I've Got My Mind Set on You - George Harrison
www.youtube.com/watch?v=u88POFV2Pms

Weather: Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr but sunny!

an old toilet
an old room
sitting in an old room
with young David
GELATO!!!!!!!!! (next door to 97 Orchard)
cheeeese
amy & cheese
agreed!
pork
mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm ... pizzzaaaaaaa!
 
blogger template powered by fraktiv