Friday 14 September 2007

Day 89 - Happy Retirement Shevaun!


Today’s entry is dedicated to my Pimlico/Hong Kong buddy Shevaun who has retired at some ludicrous young age... good on you girl!

What a day!

0430 - Up & about before the sun has even thought about coffee. Last night, housekeeping dropped off a Tempur pillow so I slept like a baby...

0600 -Arrive at The Grand Hyatt - hotel number 20 in 4 weeks. Last time I was here, I was amazed and astounded by the greatest art exhibition ever. Mr Mori - who owns the hotel building - created exact scale models of all the major cities that you could then zoom into via baby cameras to see where you lived. It was awesome.

The hotel has 390 rooms - so quite large. We filmed, filmed and filmed! It looks excellent on camera. The Presidential Suite has the only “in suite” swimming pool in Tokyo. The GM - Xavier Destribats - is an excellent Frenchman who smokes cigars. This morning was all about cigars as Alex tried one for the first time and quite enjoyed it! Now, if I get her to play golf, we will be buddies for life!

The hotel is in Roppongi - once the “red light” district of Tokyo - now very hip, swish and cool -mostly down to The Mori Building and the hotel...

1430 - Jumped into one of The Pen’s Rolls-Royce Phantoms and headed off to Nihombashi. We were accompanied by our new buddy - Kikuchi-san - one of the most helpful "PRs" in the world. We arrived at the Honcho Building where I spent two hours learning the art of Kempo (removing a sword from a sheath) and Iaido (sword from sheath to striking). It’s a martial art that uses VERY sharp swords. It’s not kendo where you bash the hell out of your opponent, its subtle and is all about "sword and Zen are one truth"... You practise on bundles of wet fine bamboo - as it's the closest to limbs, bones & flesh.

I sweated oodles but had enormous fun watching and participating. Only after watching the show can you mark me on my effort and effectiveness!

The "Master" at the dojo is "whispering death"... quiet & lethal.

At the end of the session, Gyokudo-san gave me my own sword to take home!

By the time we got home, I was pooped, but I managed to make it up to the 24th floor of the hotel in the Seven Seas Lounge - sister to the helicopter Clipper Lounge of the Pen in Hong Kong. Here I supped my "special" cocktail and smoked a cigar for the show.

The evening was rounded off by a dinner at the hotel's top floor restaurant "Peter"- with GM - Malcolm Thompson.

Tomorrow is the LAST day of filming for this part of the series! I am SOOO excited that I am going home!

Song of the Day: Owner of a Lonely Heart (Yes)

Weather: Fab-a-dab-a-doo

Weight: Less Robusto, more short perfecto...

No comments:

 
blogger template powered by fraktiv