Tuesday 2 October 2007

Day 107 - Fabulous Firenze ...

I left London the size of a large apartment (2 beds & 2 bathrooms), hoping to downsize to a 1-bedroom but due to the excessively fantastic food here at the Castello, I am now a 6-bedroom mansion ... with parking for four cars ... I think a crash diet is in order!

OK - so woke up with sun streaming through the windows of this 12th century castle ... it's raining in London.


After a very quick breakfast, we headed into Firenze (Florence) which is just 25 minutes away.

About a decade ago, I was flying with BA and in the amenity box, was this stuff called "Officina Profumo Farmaceutica di Santa Maria Novella". The shaving cream was superb, the face cream was superb and the after-shave was superb. I vowed that I would only buy that stuff in its hometown - Firenze. I was here a little while ago but SO hated the hotel that I left early without a visit to either the Duomo or Officina.



We arrived in Firenze in the Piazza della Repubblica outside the Rocco Forte Hotel. We had a quick "breakfast" there - undoubtedly THE WORST club sandwich in the history of club sandwiches. Also VERY, very rubbishly expensive! I hoped that this wasn’t a day of disappointments ... (p.s. best club this year so far - James Viney - Four Seasons Marunouchi - Tokyo).

From there I headed off to Via della Scala. Officina started making fabulous products in 1221 ... yes ... 1221 and its building has some original artefacts from then! I jest not at how amazing these products are ... this and Aqua di Parma are just the bes! I went a bit crazy ... my credit card melted ...

From there a visit to Cattedrale di Santa Maria del Fiore - with the stunning Duomo (dome) ... and then to the Basilica di San Lorenzo to see the Medici tombs.


I only left after scoffing Firenze pizza ... yumyum ... back to Tavarnelle Val di Pesa ... where I sat in the sun by the pool.

I am off to Los Angeles filming this weekend - while I can't wait, I have thoroughly enjoyed down time ... and this downtime has been heavenly ...

Song of the Day: Buona Sera - Luis Prima

Weather: Perfecto perfecto!




No comments:

 
blogger template powered by fraktiv