Sunday 24 June 2007

Day 7 - Aye Aye Cap'n!


0600: Watch the sunrise over the hills; it's Sunday so nothing stirs.

0730: Time for breakfast: scrambled egg, bacon, toast and NO ketchup! I must not be feeling well.

0830: Arrive at The Port Palace on the Avenue John F Kennedy. Meet with Sophie Provenza the hotel manager. Once in a while I meet a General Manager who I really connect with and today it happened. Sophie came into work to ensure that our shoot was a success. The hotel has just 50 rooms and suites making it the smallest luxury boutique hotel in Monaco. It's run by the Stein Group, which I would describe as a turnaround hotel company i.e. it goes in and restores reputations. The Port Palace, however, is a new hotel, which opened in 2003.

0900: Out on the Condamine (the harbour). Sophie has arranged a wee boat trip to start the show with. We beetled about the Med for a while, shooting and doing pieces to camera. Poor Tim was feeling quite queasy by the end of the trip! It's Boat Show week here in Monaco so the biggest yachts known to mankind are showing off. When I mean BIG, I mean BIG and LARGE at the same time! One had not one but two helicopters perched on it and one a Ferrari on the back deck that is hoisted down onto terra firma when it moors!

Aye aye Cap'n!

1030: Back at hotel, we need to interview the General Manager; she has arranged for us to do this on one of these SUPER yachts that happen to be in front of the hotel. So courtesy of Showboat Magazine we boarded the 60 million dollar Ambrosia. Did I say 60 million? I MEANT to say 65 million, but what are a few mills between friends? Just as we are leaving after the 30 minute interview I meet the boats' owner, a very normal looking Italian fellow. No airs and graces, just normal, but exceptionally wealthy!

1200: In Suite 510 overlooking the Condamine. Michelle, the Kenzo spa therapist, is waiting for me so she can massage my temples as the boys film! She had hands of an angel; she was worried about the sun-rash on my back though.

1300: Lunch on the roof-terrace. Club sandwich and fries; I'd give the fries ten out of ten and the sandwich around seven. Service was SUPERB though! I meet the hotel owner Lotfi who, as it happens, also owns one of the oldest businesses in Monaco; the fine chocolate shop. I see a feature coming! Also present is Stephane, the fabulous PR for Monaco Tourism chap from London.

THOROUGHLY impressed by the hotel, the service, the staff and Sophie!
I leave the boys to film the hotel and go off to arrange tomorrow. I am SO excited about the next few days but will not spoil it for you with the detail. Off to the Hotel Metropole in the morning.

Weather: Not as good as yesterday!

Song of the Day: The World Outside (Ghosts)

1 comment:

Liton Ali said...

Varun, I'm sure these guys might not notice if you 'borrowed' a smaller boat and brought it back to London.

 
blogger template powered by fraktiv