Wednesday 25 March 2009

So - I have arrived in Singapore. I feel like I have been travelling for days ... which in fact I have ... you get my drift!

The flight from London was just over 12 and a quarter hours ... it was pretty uneventful and I did - as usual - snore most of the way. The A380 is a BEAST of a plane ... rather ugly ... with its two decks, I felt more like an animal on the way to the abbatoir rather than a traveller on the world's most advanced passenger aircraft ...

Changi Airport is awesome. We arrived in the new terminal (that takes the A380) and got through customs & immigration within 20 minutes. Usually - with our 60 kgs excess luggage and film carnets - this process can take upwards of an hour.

I did see a brilliant sign (see below) that made me smile - were they talking about me??

We guffawed for ages after Tim went through customs. The officer looked at his passport photo, then him and said "this is not you ... you are more hairy & plump in real life"!

The drive from the airport was entertaining as Henry (the driver) filled us in with the history, geography and economy of Singapore. More on that tomorrow when I am 100% alive.

I am currently sitting at my desk in The Presidential Suite at The Fullerton ... I have only been in the hotel for a matter of hours and I have already tasted the finest Peking Duck EVER ... and tomorrow I am getting a masterclass on how to prepare this - my favourite Chinese dish! Yum!

The Fullerton (Building) was built in 1928 ... and was home to the Post Office, The Singapore Club and other government departments. It opened as a hotel on January 1st 2001 - has 400 rooms & suites and superb views of the Singapore River.

My suite has a "baby-Grand" piano, a huge bedroom ... butler called Shahara ... and glass enclosed verandah. It used to be the card room for the Singapore Club ... I am rubbish at all card games including "snap" ... I did try poker once ... but lost all my money on the first hand ... hmmm ...

Tomorrow, I will have a good root around the hotel and get to meet its General Manager - the legendary - Louis Sailer ...

It's VERY exciting being in Singapore - it's been a while. We have a pretty packed itinerary for the next few days ... polo, golf, food, shopping ... more food ... zoos, gardens ... phew! I think I need more sleep ... the gym is open 24/7 here ... maybe a quick walk before bedtime .. or I could answer all those emails ...

Apologies again for the photos - I have this Sony point & click contraption which I have yet to master. I love technology, technology doesn't like me ...


that's me apparently


hmmmmm!


the desk!



sleeep



the baby grand



 
blogger template powered by fraktiv